12.14.2007

100: beginnings

"When does it begin?" the nymph asked, her eagerness subdued in a gentle voice.

"Any moment now," came the reply, as a pair of arms wrapped around her waist from behind. A warm breath sent a shiver down the petite youth's spine, as her companion blushed a little at his awkwardness.

Before she could reply, a streak of bright light flashed across the sea of stars above, as a pair of smiles revealed the stargazers' awe. Soon another flashed, and another, until the shooting stars lit the entire sky.

"And this is only the beginning..." he continued, gazing ever skyward...

2 comments:

Callie said...

This has been an amazing piece...really...the entire collective is just beautiful. I like the continuation piece, but I had some solitary favorites as well.You have an amazing talent! You should try and get some of this stuff published! You word things in a manner that is somehow poetic, but not so much so that it seems like you're just trying too hard. I love that I can FEEL for and with your characters. You manage to develop them in such a way that it's possible to connect with them, even in just a short paragraph. I could feel myself stargazing with the two lovers in "beginnings" and wanted to reach out and pet that kitten in some of the others. I felt something for the lovers, and deep sympathy for the more tragic figures. Really...excellent work, hon.

~Callie

Anonymous said...

Holy shit, you're done! Notice my attention to the correct spelling of "you're". Strong stuff. Strong ending. All endings are beginnings. I def. mis-spelled that. I think. You know what I meant. And so it goes (to steal lines from Vonnegut Jr.).